Thursday, May 9, 2013

Halloumi Mango Cous Cous!

Tonight's dinner was an adventure.  I had seen a pin on pinterest that basically showed these ingredients but the link to it did not work.  So of course my brain said, "I can do that!"  And you know what?  I did.  Here is a pic of tonights ingredients although you will notice the garlic and macademia nuts are missing (because I forgot to put them in the pic....erg).

I used the Juusto baked cheese because I couldn't find straight halloumi.  However, that is what halloumi is, baked cheese.  So this worked just fine.  I used parsley also but I think cilantro may be a bit better in this recipe.  I (or others) will experiment (tell me if you do!).  I cooked the cous cous in my rice cooker which is a brilliant invention!  I no longer have to babysit rice, cous cous, or black lentils etc.  Hurrah!!  I am too busy fending off children who want 'uppy' to have to sit around a pot of rice!  Anyway... I chopped up the rest of the ingredients, threw them in a bowl and waited for the cheese to bake (yes I realize it is already baked, but you want it a bit warm for this) and the cous cous to cook.  I then tossed them all together after chopping the cheese into 1" squares (after eating I recommend smaller cheese pieces so as to get all ingredients in one bite and not just a hunk of cheese, no matter how delicious).  And........ you're done!  Another quick and easy one!  Enjoy!  Only a cup of this to keep under 400, cous cous & macademia nuts are high in cals!

Ingredients:
1 block of halloumi
1 cup of uncooked cous cous
1/2 red onion
2 chopped garlic cloves
1/2 cup macademia nuts chopped (or smashed with the bottom of an aluminum water bottle, just saying)
1/2 bunch chopped parsley (or try cilantro)
1 sliced and diced mango
2 tbsp evoo
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp cayenne pepper (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Place cheese on baking dish in 350 oven for 10 minutes turning occasionally.  Cook cous cous to directions.  Combine all other ingredients in a bowl.  When cous cous is ready (and drained if using sauce pan) pour into fresh ingredients.  When cheese is done chop into 1/2" cubes and stir into fresh ingredients.  Violà!



No comments:

Post a Comment